Minecraft mods have been a thing for a few years now. However, since Minecraft dipped in popularity, so did modding. Nowadays though, Minecraft is once again on the rise, after the recent major updates that the game had. So, many players are wondering, how to install mods on Minecraft, both Mac users and PC users. We’ll go through the whole process below.
How to Install Mods on PC & Mac – Minecraft
Minecraft Forge is the application that players need to start installing mods on Minecraft. With that said, you’ll need Minecraft Forge for both PC and Mac mods.
How to Install Mods on PC
Installing Forge – PC
- Download the latest version of Java.
- Go to the Minecraft Forge page.
- Select a version in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Then, press on ‘Installer’ in the ‘Download Recommended’ menu on the right.
- Once it has downloaded, open the file. Select ‘Install Client’ and then ‘OK’.
Installing Mods – PC
- Go to a mod downloading site, and find a mod which you want to install.
- Make sure you download a version, for which version you installed Forge for.
- After downloading the mod in the version which is compatible, open the Start menu and type in ‘%appdata%’.
- Go to .minecraft, and then open the mods folder.
- Drag and drop the downloaded mod to that folder.
Then, whether the mods are activated or not, can be controlled through the Mods menu in Minecraft, in the main menu. Something which Forge gives you full control of.
How to Install Mods on Mac
Installing Forge – Mac
- Navigate to the Forge download site.
- From the menu on the left, select a version of Minecraft which you want to install mods for.
- Then, download the installer from the ‘Download Recommended’ menu.
- Go to the downloads folder, and open the Forge installer.
- Select ‘Install Client’ and hit OK.
Create a Mods Folder – Mac
- Open Finder, and go to Library.
- Navigate to Application Support, and then Minecraft, and create a folder called ‘mods’.
Installing Mods – Mac
Again, use sites like MinecraftMods, CurseForge, and others to get the mods that you desire. As for the installation of mods for Minecraft on Mac, it goes as follows:
- Find a mod on a modding site, and download a version compatible with your Forge, which should be the same version.
- Then, open the mods folder that you created before.
- Drag and drop the mod that you downloaded into the mods folder!
- That’s it.
Whenever you launch Minecraft, make sure that you run it with the Forge version selected. Otherwise, the mods won’t work. Plus, you can activate or deactivate mods using the mods menu in the main menu of Minecraft.