NieR Replicant has a lot of playable content, but compared to the main story-line, Replicant is also full of side missions. One side mission you might have stumbled upon is the Damaged Map quest. This quest is important for a couple of reasons. One, you get to unlock a strong weapon, and you will need this quest, as it links up with two other quests for other weapons. Plus, you will need to complete the Damaged Map to unlock the other endings in the game.
The Damaged Map Quest Guide – NieR Replicant
In order to start this quest, you must’ve gotten a particular ending, where you will save Kaine. Otherwise, you won’t be able to get the quest.
After you do so, only things that is left to do is pick up the quest from the blacksmith in the village. On paper, this quest seems more than straightforward. The main objective is to find a treasure map, but it isn’t anywhere near as simple as it sounds.
If you want some pointers on completing the Damaged Map quest in NieR Replicant, follow the steps below:
- Go to the library in the village. Then, navigate to the second floor, and look for a prompt to interact with a certain bookshelf, in order to find the Treasure Map.
- After that, you will need to find a way to decode the map. Doing that is easy; Make your way to the Façade, but more specifically, the Strange – Thing shop.
- When you interact with the merchant, the merchant will require a few ingredients:
- x3 Eggplant – get it from the grocery store, or grow it in your own garden.
- x3 Machine Oil – you can find this item in the Junk Heap factory dungeon. It might require some searching, but there are some great spots to farm Machine Oil here.
- x3 Goat Hide – this is simple. Get it by killing and then carving the goats.
- Go back to the shop, and give the materials to the merchant before. Then, head to the blacksmith. The blacksmith won’t be present, but you will have an interesting conversation with the blacksmith’s wife.
- You can find the treasure on the second floor of the Lost Shrine. The treasure will have a glowing effect, so it won’t be hard to miss.
- Go back to the blacksmith’s wife, and then you will get a Hair Ornament. With it, go to the Strange – Thing shop and exchange it for a Gold Coin. With the gold coin, you can now get the treasure map from the blacksmith.
- With this map, you can go to the library, where Popola can decipher the whole map.
- At the Northern Plains, you will find the treasure somewhere near the unfinished bridge. The object will be shining, so it is quite visible to find it.
The object or treasure that you find is the Labyrinth’s Shout, which is a weapon.
This quest is indeed rewarding, and glossing over the fact that you have to travel a lot from one place to the other, it isn’t really that challenging. Good luck on your journey, warrior!